Monday, May 20, 2013

Derby Days 5k

One week post marathon, I wanted to get in a good workout.  I was debating heading to the track for a ladder workout but since it was raining, the appeal of doing a road race, followed by a fartlek sounded a little more motivating.  My plan was to run the 5k in around 15:15-15:30, take 4-5 minutes rest, then run 4x2:00 at around 10k effort with 2:00 easy jog, and then 4x1:00 very hard with 1:00 jog recovery.

Before the race started, I was surprised a lot of people recognized me as the guy who won the Country Music Marathon because I was wearing my defect waterproof Timberland jacket (the pockets were placed way too high, so it was super cheap) and covering my bald head with a hat.  They even announced me before the race, which was kind of cool, but also somewhat embarrassing.  I now felt a little self-conscious and wanted to slowly sneak into the lead.

When the gun went off, some 9 or 10 year old took off like a maniac.  I let him lead for a while and passed him a couple hundred meters later and then tried to get into my groove.  I was using my GPS and once I got about a mile in, it said I averaged 4:48 pace.  Unfortunately, there were no mile markers on the course and since I had my auto-lap turned off, I had no idea what my splits were.  When I hit two miles on the watch,  I was around 4:45 average pace, so I guess that mile was around a low 4:40.

I started getting a little bit tired the last mile and was slowly losing time.  With a half mile to go, I moved up to a 4:46 average and was hoping I could sneak under 15:00.  But the watch climbed higher and I crossed the line in 15:24 for 3.21 miles on my GPS and a 4:48 average.  On most certified courses, my GPS is usually around 3.15-3.17 and this course had a ton of turns and random running through parking lots, so it very well could have been a "real" 5k.

But regardless, I thoguht I would run faster and I felt really flat, especially on the long, gradual hills. If I went flat out, I don't think I could have broken 15. I decided to scrap the fartlek after the race and jogged around for about three miles in the cold rain.  By the time I got back, they were already starting the awards ceremony, which was impressive because most races take quite a while to start that.  While waiting around, I was able to meet a lot of new people, met the owner of Anytime Fitness in Gallatin, who was a really nice guy and ran into Dave Hudson, who was running the finish line services and always does a great job at that (and coaching the Brentwood Cross Country and Track Teams).

All-in-all it was a little bit of a frustrating day, but it was better than running a hard workout in the rain at home.  They did a great job for a first year race and I will probably come back again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment