Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

April 13th-19th Training

Monday: 7.6 miles (6:58); 8.5 miles with 6xstrides (7:00ish)

Tuesday: 4.5 miles (7:01); 11.7 (6:38). Went to the doctor for an iron test and got my results back.  It's not as low as it was in September, when I had to cancel the Columbus Marathon four weeks out, but it's getting there.  With the half-marathon championships in about six weeks, maybe I have time to get it back up.  I'll "pump some iron" and go for another test in a couple of weeks.  I'll still train hard but take more liberal recovery.

Wednesday: 5.9 miles (6:45); 11.7 miles with 8x400m with 400m jog.  Was gunning for 62 lows because of the iron issue and ended up running 8:13 for my total time, which is like 61.5 or so.  These were actually pretty easy and I never got the booty lock feeling I would get during this workout in college.  Should probably have done 10-12 of these because the 400m jog recovery was way too much.

Thursday: 5.7 miles (6:53); 10.7 miles (6:59)

Friday: 4.3 miles (7:23); 9.6 miles with 6xstrides (6:48)

Saturday:  15.4 miles with 11.2 mile race in 63:30.  Ran a medium effort for a while and then got lazy.  Too hot, too humid; 5.1 miles (7:26)

Sunday: 9.4 miles (6:38); 5.4 miles (7:16)

Week Total= 115.5 miles. With the iron issue, it was a bummer of a week.  I'm scrapping the Music City Distance Carnival on June 1st (bye bye sub 14 attempt) and hoping to rally back in time before the half-marathon.  Even if it's still low, I'll probably still try but hopefully I caught it early enough.  Let's look at my iron history over the last few months.  First, my iron tanked in mid September.  Two weeks prior, I ran at the Hood to Coast Relay with a double ear-infection and ran three legs, averaging sub 5:00 pace for 20+ miles, with no sleep.  My iron wasn't low but wasn't great three weeks before Houston.  Two weeks prior, I ran a steady marathon.  Now it's in between last December and last September.  Two weeks ago, I ran the Country Music Marathon.  I would guess that's all related.  I don't plan on stopping my steady marathons, but will dose more iron before/after.  We will see what next week brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment