Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

February 3rd-9th Training

Monday: 5.6 miles (7:03); 7.8 miles with two hill circuits. For the next six weeks or so, I was planning on doing some hill circuits. The plan for today was six circuits, which totaled a little over .4 miles, with a the first .15 flat, followed be a .25 mile hill. I just used mailboxes and other landmarks but I did what I estimated was 100m of running, 50m butt kick, 100m running, 50m bounding, 100m running, 50m high knees and then about 150m of running.  I was going to do 10xsquat jumps at the end, but I was trashed after the first one. Midway through the second, I was absolutely dead and had no power at all, so that was enough of that.  While I can usually predict how I respond to running workouts, these things are more of a wildcard.  I've been fine without them and don't want to tinker around with stuff since my training usually goes pretty well. So bye-bye hill circuits and I'll make up the slack through squats, hill sprints and some new drills.

Tuesday: No running. Bad headache at lunch and 35 and raining in the afternoon. No way bro.

Wednesday: 5 milers (6:34); 11.9 miles with 9.27 mile progression.  Plan was three miles at 18:15, 17:00 and 15:45. Ended up at 17:43, 16:29, 15:35 through three miles.  First section was pretty easy, second felt like I was jogging and I struggled the last 1.5 miles or so on the last one.  My legs were moving slowly, but I was breathing hard.  But I had a 12 mph tailwind on the second part, which was a headwind on the last 1.5, so that explains things.

Thursday: 10.2 miles (6:05);6.9 miles (6:46)

Friday: 3 miles (6:32); 7.7 miles with 4xhill blasts (7:16)

Saturday: 9.7 miles with 5k in 15:23.  Ran the Hill Yeah! 5k.  I thought I'd break 15 but it wasn't going to happen. I was alone from the gone and the course was hilly (271 loss and 270 gain), with some snow on the back roads.  I died on the hills on the first mile and came through in 5:01 I was like, "seriously", so I pushed some more and came through the second mile in 4:56.  The last had a couple climbs but a generous downhill and I came through in 4:42, before a steep uphill finish.  It was hard to find that 5k zone and with the snow and hills, I kept on finding myself getting lazy.  But my power seemed pretty weak and I really need to work on speed and aggressiveness right now; 3.4 miles (7:31)

Sunday: 20 miles (5:55). I woke up early to run but wasn't feeling it, so I delayed it until the afternoon. Procrastinated until I had less than 2.5 hours of daylight left and then I was on my way.  Got rolling really quickly, with my first sub 6:00 mile in the fourth mile.  I was feeling really smooth and went up the unofficial Heartbreak Hill at a pretty good clip since I am now the King of Mountain on this slope on Strava and I don't want to give up the throne yet.  Last four miles were in the 5:30s with no intentional pace pick-up. Really good run.

Week Total: 91.1 miles. Was planning on sneaking into the 100s but the day-off killed that. While I'm not fast now, I'm starting to feel pretty strong.  I'm even starting to eat better and am buying foods that I can't even pronounce.  It couldn't have come at a better time because my jeans I bought before Houston are so tight that I have to do some high rep squats while wearing them before I'm secure enough to wear them outside. And to top it off, my mom asked if I've put on some weight lately.  So I guess it's now going to be easier to walk by all of those Girl Scout cookie tables I've seen everywhere lately.  Maybe next year, Samoas.

No comments:

Post a Comment