Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 15-21 Training

Monday: 7.4 miles with 1.75 miles of 1:00 on/off. I was hoping to get in 3.5 miles of the fartlek but I was really struggling, so I called it at the turnaround point.  Averaged just over 4:30 pace on the surges, but I only got in five.  Long way to go; 5.6 miles (7:01)

Tuesday: 9.9 miles (7:08); 3 miles (7:06)

Wednesday: 10.6 miles with 10 miles medium at 5:53. Was hoping for just under 6:00 pace. Pace felt easy on my legs but I started to struggle a bit in the last mile.

Thursday: 3.7 miles (6:41); 4.2 miles (6:45)

Friday: 5.6 miles (6:42); 4.5 miles (7:04)

Saturday: 15.2 miles with Upper Cumberland Haunted Half Marathon in 69:53. It was dumb to do a half, but I was gunning for some money. Festus and Brian Shelton were going to be my main competition. I wasn't worried about my time, I was just running for place. I wasn't sure if Festus knew if I've been hurt, so I tried my best poker bluff and took off from the gun, hoping he would let me go after a few miles. We ran the first two together in 9:55 and then I started to slowly build a gap. I was hurting but kept on telling myself to hang on until the neighborhood portion because it's easy to "hide" there.  After 4-5 miles, tiredness started creeping in and by the time I hit 6 miles, I was toast.  I was averaging around 5:25s at this point and tried to keep on moving.  By 10 miles, I knew I probably had the win, but I tried to stay focused.  I was drained by the end and the TTU mascot thought it would be a good idea to try and chest bump me 10 meters before the finish line, which knocked me backwards and almost caused me to fall down. Stupid bird. I ended up winning by a couple of minutes but realize I have a long way to go.  I could tell I was crawling but I couldn't make myself go.  When I'm fit, I run hard and hurt for a long time, but I just felt drained here.

Sunday: 5.8 miles (7:08); 3.4 miles (7:34).  The Columbus Marathon, the race I was hoping to peak for this fall, was today.  It was 42 degrees, with no wind, and the winner ran 2:19 and got $5,000.  I'm now in mild depression.

Week Total= 80.8 miles. Glad to get in a good week.  I had no achilles pain all week but had a good bit of arch pain the second half of the half marathon.  I'm way out of shape but I think I'll be able to come back around in a month or so and hope to be pretty fit by the start of December. Just to be safe, I'll get an iron test this week to make sure my numbers have gone up.  The next couple of weeks will be tricky to plan because I have to force things a bit, while also playing it cautious.  Training will be day-to-day because it's hard to predict how my body will adapt to the training, so I can't have a concrete plan.  These are the times I could use a coach/advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment