Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Harvest Moon 10k

This race has some sentimental value to me.  It takes place in the town that I teach and do a lot of my training in (White House), I've won the men's race every-time I've run it and it was also the last time I got "chicked" in what was a humbling performance back in 2008.

Last year, I had to duke it out with Jef Scott and I really was hoping he wouldn't show up this year.  If he did, it would take everything I had in me to have a chance at beating him and I really didn't want to have to run that hard today. I just got back to easy jogging this week and have barely even dipped under 7:00 pace on my runs.  I knew running 5:00 pace would not be a good idea.

For my warmup, I did a lazy 2.5 miles or so and didn't even run any strides, in fear of stressing my achilles.  Fortunately, there were only about 30 people there and it seemed like I would be able to get the win again this year.

I accidently left my watch at home, so I wouldn't have any idea on my pacing.  I decided to keep a medium type effort and run around 5:45-6:00 pace.  There's nothing really interesting to put here. I was alone the whole time and the only things of note that took place was smelling a strong odor of Old Spice cologne and a half-mile later, passing an old man walking on the greenway, who smelled strongly of Old Spice cologne.

A little bit later, I saw a man walking backwards up the hill.  For a brief, fleeting moment, I  had a strong desire to tabletop him but the last thing I need is a lawsuit on my hands.

I ended up winning by around eight minutes in 34:46.  The effort was nice and relaxed but I felt really rusty and out-of-shape.  I have a long road ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment