Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

February 9th-15th Training

Monday: 8.6 miles (6:23). The lower/middle of my hamstring was insanely tight a few miles in.  Was going to do some strides but thought it would be too much on the leg. Things got a little better at the end until my hamstring revolted while running down a hill with .4 miles to go.  Walk of shame back to the school

Tuesday: No running. Got a massage and on a bright note, I found a new good masseuse. She put a whooping on me and said the inside of my hamstring felt really inflamed.

Wednesday: .2 miles (7:54). Knew it wasn't going to happen.

Thursday: No running

Friday: 2 miles (7:27). I thought I'd be good for a few but the hammy still really hurts.

Saturday: 2 miles. I was going to do the Hot Chocolate 5k but after trying some strides, I knew it was going to be a bad idea, especially since there's a huge climb, followed by a downhill in the last mile.  I knew the running gods were telling me not to run because I couldn't find my watch, phone or running hat (it was 20 degrees, so I had to settle for my Batman hat with one of those puffy balls on top).

Sunday: No running. 

Week Total: 12.8 miles. Terribly frustrating week.  Things were going super well, I was transitioning over to some fast workouts and I was feeling like a million bucks.  I was thinking this would be a short term thing but it doesn't appear to be getting any better.  I was going to race the Mercedes Half-Marathon next weekend but I doubt that will happen.  I also have another 2-3 important races in March that may not happen now.  Hopefully I can resume training by the end of next week.

3 comments:

  1. A few years ago I sustained a pretty bad hip flexor injury at the cedars half marathon. It was one if those things where the race was fine then the next day it was hurting a bit in my run then it progressed until I was totally out of commission despite cutting running to nearly zero. I ultimately attributed it to running hard on the significant downhill finish while already fatigued. Like you, I rarely get injured so the coincidence kind of struck me. Hope you recover fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, Tough break with the leg.....
    Big fan! I've been following your training blog for a few months now...I've even borrowed a couple of workouts....I modified them (or course), for my level (2:59.09).
    Seeking an opinion: racing PGH on 5/3, so I am just about to go into the specific phase. I have been building volume over the last three months, Max 76, but average about 72, with two WO's a week. Tempo type intervals on Wed, and another session on Sun with a long run in there between 17-20. Target is 6:40 pace (or 2:55).
    I have a 20 mile race this Saturday (Choice of 10, 15 and 20, actually), and my question is...how should I work it? Course is 5 mile loops around a lake. It is a balance of some rolling hills. Should run the 15 at MP? Not sure that I am ready for that, plus that would wreak the training schedule....maybe the first loop at current PR pace (6:50), second at planning MP (6:40)....

    I have no idea what would be best. 47, so I do need longer recovery between WO's and races...I still have 10weeks until my target race. Any insight, would be great. Good luck with the leg...:/ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blame the Kenyan for showing up, Doc! There's a lot of ups-and-downs on that course, so your legs are constantly getting stressed and a little banged up.

    The Pittsburgh Marathon is supposed to be a really good race. If it were a week later, I'd run the half there. Since you're about to start some marathon specific stuff and are still a couple of months out, I think it'd be good to test the waters a little bit, especially since your route sounds like it's somewhat similar to the rolling Pittsburgh course. Obviously, you'll ease into the marathon workouts but stepping into the deep end a little bit to see where you are and what you need to work on can be a good thing.

    Everyone is different but I think you have a few different options. The first is to race the 10 mile flat out. Your body is probably familiar with the speed stuff now and since it's a 5k short of a half-marathon, you may recover a little more quickly and may be able to do another quality session 5-7 days later. And since you'll run 20-25ish seconds faster than MP, the hills will become tougher, which may give you a better read on where you are with them.

    You could also do 15 or 20 miler and run it as a progression run, working from a normal/moderate pace to MP or a little faster by the end. It won't be as hard on your body as the 10 miler and you'll get a small exposure of marathon effort.

    And the last option would be to run the 20 miler but at a steady effort...maybe something like working from a little over 30s a mile slower than MP and getting with 20s or so. It's a great marathon workout and gives you somewhat of a feel for the marathon effort, without stressing your body too much.

    If you've been doing nothing but training, maybe racing the 10 miler would be best.

    If you've been doing a lot of speed stuff and want a smooth transition to marathon-type stuff, maybe the progression run would be best.

    If you feel pretty confident in your gas tank and you've gotten in some good long runs, maybe the steady 20-miler would be good.

    I hate leaving it so open-ended but it really depends on where you physically and mentally are with your training.

    ReplyDelete