Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

February 2nd-8th Training

Monday: 9.7 miles with 6xstrides (6:24); 7.5 miles (7:10)

Tuesday: 7.5 miles (7:04); 9.1 miles with 12x400m with 90s jog rest. Kind of a random workout...originally, I was going to do 12x60s on with 90s off as a fartlek during lunch.  But my co-teacher was absent, so I helped out the sub during my expected planning period. I then was going to do the workout in the afternoon and since I had more time, I was going to run 10x2:00 on/off at a progressive effort.  But when I was peeing in the woods right before my workout, I thought, "you know, let me see if the track is open".  It was, so I was going to do 6x800m at 2:20 instead. But at the end of my first 400, I thought 400s sounded better to me. So the plan was now 12ishx400m in 70 with 200m jog, plus a little walking rest to take up 90s.  I ended up running 13:30 for my total time (don't feel like doing the math).  It probably would have been a little bit faster because on the first few, I would run in lane 1 and have to go to lane three around the second half of a turn because of standing water.  I then realized I was being dumb and could run my "odd" intervals entirely in lane three and on the evens, I could start at the lane three 200m marker and then cut over later on. I expected to die more quickly than I did and I was able to hang on once some fatigue crept in.  I was able to close out the last few in 65-66 and with my highly unscientific formula, I feel like I am in at least 14:30-14:40 shape, which isn't too bad for right now.

Wednesday: 9 miles (7:09); 7.5 miles (7:24)

Thursday: 11 miles (6:11); 7.5 miles (7:30)

Friday: 9 miles (6:28); .2 miles (7:53). Long day and a long week.  Started when it was almost pitch black before deciding that running was stupid, so I turned around and ordered pizza.

Saturday: 17.9 miles with half-marathon in 70:27.  Ran with my man, Connor Kamm.  The plan was a progression but a Kenyan showed up.  We dropped the Kenyan a little over halfway through and kept up the pace until 10 miles before slowly backing off.  Felt good on a tough course.

Sunday: 9.5 miles (7:08); 6.3 miles (7:37)

Week Total: 115.8 miles.  One good workout and a controlled effort that I didn't think would be controlled.  This old man is starting to get senile mean!

I was impressed to see Chris Derrick dominate cross country again.  I expected him to win but since Ritz has always been my favorite pro runner, I was hoping he would pull it out.  And I'm also expecting there to be some Kenyans in the next edition of G.I. Joe action figures.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure Marines, Air Force and Navy runners are giving us crap because none of our Army runners are American-born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Dan Brown seemed to be a guy who was totally committed to the military and his running was a "side effect" rather than joining it for the perks. But who really knows what one's motives are? But then again, I guess it's no different than colleges stocking up on super talented athletes.

    ReplyDelete