Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

March 28-April 3 Training

Monday: 7.6 miles. I was going to do a 12 mile progression, but man, I was sleepy.  Normally, I'm a 6-7 hour a night guy and last night I got nine and after this run, I took a two hour nap (it's Spring Break).  I guess my body know it's "allowed" to catch up on sleep this week; 8 miles (6:58)

Tuesday: 11 miles. Plan was to do 4800m-3200m-1600m with 3:00 jog at 5:05, 4:55, 4:45 pace.  It was insanely windy (20mph+ winds).  I ran the 4800m in 15:07 and while it felt mostly smooth, but hamstrings were getting really achy and I had the same super sleepiness as yesterday.  Shortly into the 3200m, my legs were shutting down in the wind, so I called it a workout.  That's three days in a row that I axed my harder run.  I need to cowboy up; 6.5 miles with 8x30s fast/2:30 moderate. After taking a nap, I was planning on easy run with hard strides but after a mile warm-up, I decided to run the workout I posted.  The plan was just to run hard on the fast portion and keep it on the 5:50s on the jog.  I ended up running 5:30 average for the 24 minutes with an "on" average of 4:10. I felt smooth on the fast portion and was able to recover pretty quickly in between.  In February, I ran 8x30s on/2:30 slow jog and only averaged 4:23 pace on the fast portion (with a granny jog), so my speed is coming around.

Wednesday: 5.4 miles (7:03); 11.2 miles (7:03)

Thursday: 10 miles (6:58); 5.7 miles (7:22)

Friday: 5.4 miles (7:14); 10.5 miles with 5000m in 14:57. I was supposed to pace two miles of the open 5k at 16:00 pace and 45 minutes later, pace 3k of the high school 3200m at 9:20 pace.  After an hour drive and 45 minutes before the 5k, I found out that they weren't allowing pacers and they forgot to notify me.  I was pretty annoyed since my plan was out the window, so I jogged around for a while and if I had at least 10 minutes before the race, I'd run just under 15 minutes.  If I had less than that, I'd run a few more miles and try a workout in the morning.  I had about 10-15 minutes, so I went forward with my plan. I ran the first lap pretty lazily in 75-76, then ran nearly straight 71s until the last lap, where I put on the brakes a good bit the last 200m.

The effort was really smooth and the fact that I was clicking off 71s without paying attention to my splits shows that it was a controlled effort. I feel like I could have run about 14:30 if I raced it all out, which isn't bad during a heavy mileage week and in a solo effort.  Hopefully I can chase 14:00 this season.

Saturday: 8.6 miles (8:28). Ran a little over five miles before practice and then a few miles at 10+ average; 5.4 miles (7:09)

Sunday: 21.2 miles (6:24). I ran two loops of the Boomer Route, with the Country Hills extension on both laps, which is about 4,000 feet of elevation change. Spencer ran the first lap with me and we took over a ten minute break after the first loop since I was locked out of my house.  I rung the doorbell a million times and threw rocks at the bathroom window for a while but my wife was in the shower and my kids didn't come to the door because they thought a monster was trying to get into the house, so they were hiding.

I was hoping to open up on the hills the second half, especially towards the end, but my legs weren't really having much of it.  It's been a tough week.

Week Total: 116.5 miles. Biggest week in a long time and I believe it's my third 100+ mile week in a row, after not doing any weeks that high for over five months.  My fitness is still continuing to climb and I want to get in at least two more solid weeks of training.  I'm happy with where my fitness is right now, because I was struggling a little over a month ago and my training has been random without much specificity.  If I can buckle down in May, I think I'll race well in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment