Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

November 18th-24th Training

Monday: 6 miles (6:49); 14.1 miles with 20x400m with 1:00 rest. Was shooting for 66ish and then maybe work down.  Got rolling a little quicker than usual.  After 12 or so, I was getting a little more tired and I had to focus on the last four some.  Pretty tired on the cool-down and while I never hammered, it was the most tired I've been after a workout in a while.  Averaged 64.7 for the 400s and the wind was pretty strong. Down the backstretch, I would have to stay focused and push through it and down the homestretch, it felt like I was running down one of those flat airport escalator things.  The pace was easy but my legs were turning over way too fast.

Tuesday: 6 miles (6:56); 10.1 miles (7:00ish)

Wednesday: 5.3 miles (6:46); 11 miles (6:50)

Thursday: 13 miles with 8x3:00 fast with 1:00 rest, 1/2 mile jog, 2x400m uphill. Plan was to average under 4:50 on the fast portion and I ended up at 4:41 for the fast portion and 5:08 pace for the 32 minutes. Originally, I was going to run down LSC and back (3.55 miles) at tempo effort than have a hard two mile uphill push up Saundersville.  But Kate had to go to the doctor, so I crammed this in during my lunch break, since I have a nice break on Thursday.  Pretty windy out and I was always running up or down a gradual hill. The first few were pretty controlled, I started getting tired around six and the 7th and 8th were tough, mostly because there was a strong headwind on them.  I was hoping to get in four hills but didn't have enough time, so only got in two of them in 76 and 74.  Really good workout and this is by far the fastest I've ever run this workout despite not trying to hammer; 5.6 miles (7:29)

Friday: 7.9 miles (6:57); 8.2 miles (7:14)

Saturday: 8.5 miles (7:00ish); 7.4 miles with 4xhill blasts (7:14)

Sunday: 21.5 miles with 18 miles steady.  Wanted to run 5:25s and ended up at 5:22 average. Met up with Connor Kamm and even though it was in the upper 60s late last week, it was a little over 20 degrees with a 10 degree wind chill at the start with 11 mph winds.  First 10-12 miles were really easy but started getting really hungry and a little lightheaded around 14 miles in, even though it still felt really controlled.  Connor was planning on 16 but he tried some mind tricks on me, changed it to 18 and then picked up the pace some.  He's also much craftier than me on slick bridges and zig-zaggy turns.  Went with a Vanilla Creme Faygo from the ghetto mart next to my car for my post-run recovery, but should have went with my gut instinct and chosen a Coke.

Week Total: 124.6 miles.  Good, all-around week.  I'm starting to get really fit and fast now, which is perfect as I transition into my marathon-specific training for Houston. I also saw that we can choose roommates for the race, so I'm taking applications.  You must go to bed with the TV off, like watching TV/movies, have an "easy" easy run pace and a preference for pizza is an added bonus.  Since I've been having so many good workouts, I'm going to take three easy days in a row and if I feel good, may throw down at the yearly five mile turkey trot.  Mary is getting sick with something, so hopefully she doesn't infect me before the race.  The top of my foot has also been swollen since Monday.  Most of the pain is at the base of my second toe and it hurts a little more further down as well.  I'm leaning towards it being tendonitis since I've had it in that area before.

4 comments:

  1. Really good week. The speed stuff looks great, but its those longer efforts that are going to make all the difference in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you have to be a strong and patient dude for the marathon. Too many guys think you need a lot of speedwork and then they wonder why they crash and burn. It's getting close to game-time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome week Scott. What do you do for the foot pain you're feeling? I've been dealing with something similar for a couple months, but it's also wrapping around the outside of my foot and into my ankle...worst part is I'm only at 30 mpw and north of 160 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a spot at the end of my foot, sort of near the ankle that when pressed, makes my hurt toe throb. I massaged that quite a bit and then left it alone. If yours is tendinitis, I've had good success in the past with heat and massage. Some people like ice, but I don't like it for tendinitis and a lot of research says it doesn't help heal anyway.

    ReplyDelete