Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Anniversary Jinx

This past Wednesday (June 13th), Mary and I celebrated our third anniversary.  The marriage itself has been great but unfortunately, our anniversaries are always terrible and end up getting worse every year.  We even brought this up the day before and dreaded how the day would unfold.

Unfortunately, we had professional development that day, so we were stuck in meetings until close to 4:00.  I then had to go home and mow the lawn and go for a short run.  Our plan was to eat at PF Changs and then stay at the Hyatt Hotel by the airport since my flight was leaving early in the morning.

By the time we were ready to head to PF Changs, we realized we forgot to find Roxy a place to stay overnight.  We then headed to Joelton to drop off Roxy with Mary's grandparents, which added over an hour, but we were glad they could watch her.  After leaving their house, the car started acting really funny, so we stopped at a gas station to check the oil.  The oil cap was impossible to get off and after a lot of frustration and some sore hands, we found someone who had a wrench.  I added a quart of oil and then we were on our way.

After getting into Nashville, my car would start to sputter out and stoplights and shut off.  It would start back right away but would die when it idled.  We ended up making it to the restaurant and after some Google diagnosing, I figured it was a vacuum leak.  Luckily, that would be an easy and cheap fix. 

We left the restaurant after 9:00 pm and headed home to swap out cars.  I even gave Mary a high-five because we were only a few miles away from the house.  The day wasn't over yet and within a minute, the car started getting really loud, followed by a metal-on-metal sound.  I immediately pulled over and the car died.  I called several tow places, all of which said it would be a minimum of a 1.5 hour wait.  I remembered the parents of some girls at my school had a tow truck place, so Harry's Towing was on the way!  He somehow even perfectly parked the car in my driveway when I can't even back up without leaving tire marks in the grass.

We were finally on our way to the Hyatt and arrived shortly before midnight.  After checking-in, we realized that we were given two small beds, instead of the king that we reserved and were charged for.  They were completely out of king's, so luckily we both fit on one of the full's.  We finally got to bed to bed just before midnight to end our third anniversary.

And for post-anniversary aftershocks, Mary and I both received a lot of chigger bites on our legs while calling the tow truck and it looks like my Civic had an oil leak and now a dead engine to go along with it.  Now we have to decide whether to pay to get new tires and a new engine, get a new car or just pay cash for a used one.

As of now, we are planning to rent a white, padded room for our fourth anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment