Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

March 30th-April 5th Training

Monday:  8 miles (7:17); 6.3 miles (7:04)

Tuesday: 5.6 miles (7:22); 10.7 miles with 4x1 mile with 1/4 mile jog rest (2:45ish) in 4:50, 4:42, 4:37, 4:25.  Ran this workout with the Nashville Harriers.  I haven't done a workout like this in over a year and ideally, I wanted to do shorter intervals to ease into things but would rather have the camaraderie, so I opted for the longer workout. With the layout of the workout, I felt it made the most sense to start around 10k pace and work down to 5k pace or a little faster.  So my plan was to work from 5:00, into the 4:40s.  The course was around a park, which consisted of three, 1/4 mile straightaways with two turns.  On the first, I eased my way into it and ran a pretty big negative split. The second was also negative split and felt really smooth.  On the third, I tried to stay a little more conscious of my effort the last 1/2 mile and felt good.  On the last, I wanted to break 4:30 and since I was on 4:30 pace with a 1/4 mile to go, I did a controlled pick-up to finish strongly. I was really pleased with this workout because the effort felt so smooth and my legs haven't run a 4:25 mile in a long, freaking time.  If I had to hammer the last one all-out, I felt like it wouldn't have been a major issue to run 4:17-4:18. Hopefully this is the start of good things to come.

Wednesday: 9.7 miles (6:53); 3.4 miles (7:44)

Thursday: 9 miles with 4x10s hill sprints (7:11); 3.4 miles (7:45)

Friday: 9.3 miles (6:56). I was planning on doing an eight mile progression (5:45ish-5:10ish) but heavy storms were in the forecast and I didn't know if I would have enough time for the complete workout; 6.1 miles (7:10)

Saturday: 14.1 miles with 5 mile tempo in 25:18. Since I was rained out, I decided to do the Richland Creek 5 Miler as a tempo run.  The course had a good bit of turns and some little rollers.  I felt really good and with a mile to go, I debated pushing the last mile to break 25 (needed a 4:47) but that mile had some headwinds with some climbing, so I kept the same effort.  Splits were: 5:00, 4:55, 5:07,5:10, 5:06. I was planning on doing two runs but I got hustled into doing nearly a six mile cool-down.  At least I got a 2.5 hour nap that afternoon.

Sunday: 20 miles (6:06). Really good run.  Ran the first half feeling like a million bucks at 6:17 pace.  I even ran decently quick over my mostly uphill 2.5 mile stretch.  I started dropping some sub 6:00s without any extra effort and with 2.5 miles to go, I picked it up into the 5:30s because I was seeing if I could catch a guy running ahead of me. Long runs get lonely, so I needed a distraction (and I ended up catching the guy shortly afterward).  Sadly, with an average temperature of around 40 degrees, this was probably my last really good weather long run until October or something

Week Total: 105.6 miles. Weird week in that I felt really good on my three quality days but felt like complete dog crap on my three other days.  Once I get a few weeks of training, I should be able to recover pretty quickly and stack up fast workouts with some decent mileage.  But because I jumped into things a little too quickly and have been dragging some, I'll slow things down a little bit this week with just some 400s and a quality long day.  It was nice getting six naps this week but next week, it's back to working for the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment