Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kate's Here!

Wow, it's been a crazy last few days. Kate's due date was May 18th but with babies, they come when they are ready! Mary had some random contractions for about an hour on Friday and left school early. I was thinking that the baby could be born at any time but after a couple of hours, the contractions went away.

On Sunday morning, she started having contractions again, which were about 10 minutes apart. That lasted for several hours, so I went ahead and got a short run in (it was a planned day off) in case we would have to make a hospital run soon. The contractions weren't getting any closer, so I didn't know what to expect.

We ended up leaving our small group a little early because Mary wasn't feeling good at all. I did some Google research and saw that she could have a few more days. She called the nurse, who told her she was fine but to call if anything changed. Within a few minutes, her contractions were only a few minutes apart and after a call to the nurse, we were on our way to the hospital.

Mary and I aren't the most experienced parents, so we were freaking out. We thought the baby could come out any second, so we got everything ready as fast as we could. Luckily I packed my hospital bag that afternoon, so that was ready to go. I sprinted the baby's car seat down to the car and Mary was running around, getting her stuff. I then yelled at Roxy to go outside and use the bathroom and then right away Mary yelled at Roxy to not use the bathroom because there wasn't enough time.

After a couple of minutes, we were on our way to Baptist Hospital (and Roxy still hadn't use the bathroom). We checked into our room and met with the nurse. She said Mary wouldn't deliver until the next day, which was a relief. However, we only got about an hour of sleep each and were exhausted.

Mary started delivering a little bit after noon. I thought for sure that I would pass out but I was surprisingly ok. After about 20 minutes, the baby was almost out. The doctor wasn't sure if Kate had enough room to come out, so she called another doctor to come in. Unfortunately, that doctor was in surgery, so Mary had to wait for an hour, without any pushing, even though the baby was almost out. When the other doctor came in, Mary gave one push and Kate was out.

Kate came out screaming and pitching a fit. She weighed six pounds and 14 ounces and was 19 inches long. We then had some alone time with her until friends and family started coming in.
I slept about 15 hours that night and felt a ton better on Tuesday.

She has a little fire in her and will get really upset and scream and shake her fists whenever she is laid down. As soon as you pick her up though, she stops. I'm sure she will turn out to be a handful.

They let us come back on Wednesday afternoon and now it's time for the real world. I'm glad to be back and start this new and exciting life.

1 comment: