Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Netflix Movie Monday

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the first movie in the greatest trilogy of cinema...The Evil Dead.  And unlike every other trilogy known to man, each movie in this series gets drastically better.  Does this mean that The Evil Dead is bad? Only if bad means super low budget but awesome (it's late, cut me some slack.)



I don't remember the first time I saw The Evil Dead.  I know it was in high school and I own the VHS tape. Well, I believe I do, but part of me also believes my old college roommate, Matt, borrowed it and never returned it.

The Evil Dead was filmed in 1981 (my birth year).  It was written and directed by Sam Raimi (who produced those Spider Man movies) on a budget of $90,000 and was even filmed in Tennessee.  In the movie, five college students are taking a little vacation in a cabin the woods.  Why the woods instead of a hopping town like Gatlinburg? Who knows? But in the cabin, they find The Book of the Dead an old audio tape that unbeknownst to them, releases demons.  Bad combination.






As you can guess, the demons wreck mayhem and pick-off the college students one-by-one.  The students also become possessed and attack the "normal" living ones.  It doesn't sound like your typical vacation to me, but lucky Ash (Bruce Campbell, my favorite actor) is there to save the day.  Ash does his best to put some whoopings on the demons and continues to do it in Evil Dead II and my favorite movie of all-time, Army of Darkness.





You owe it to yourself to check this one (followed by the other two in the series).  And if you need to borrow them because you don't have Netflix, ask me (or my old roommate.)







No comments:

Post a Comment